The official application must be completed online.
This sample is provided only for informational and planning purposes. Neither hard copy nor email applications are accepted. We recommend typing responses in word-processing software and then copying and pasting into the online application.Official Application
This is the 2020 application--it is now closed. Check back in August of 2020 for the 2021 application
The application starts with basic information for you:
Thank you for your interest in applying to work with the Adventure WV First-Year Trips program (AWVFYT)! Before completing and submitting your application you should be aware that:
1) You are NOT able to save and return to a partially completed application. You will be able to go back to previous sections while working on your application, but not after submitting. There is no time-out on the application, but progress you make will not be saved if you do not fully complete the application in one sitting. Please leave sufficient time to complete your application!
We have posted a pdf version of the application on our website http://adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader. We strongly suggest reviewing what you will be asked so that you can prepare your answers ahead of time. There are questions regarding work and leadership experience, references, and short answer prompts.
2) The training process and work commitments are extensive. Please review the job description and training requirements. Specifically, make sure you click on the "AWVFYT 2020 Required Commitments" button near the top of the screen and review the dates: adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader
Note trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education, which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm during the Spring 2020 semester. No substitutions for this class are accepted. This course includes two required weekends with the tentative dates of: January 25-26 and April 4-5.
Also note you are generally expected to be available from May 26 - August 18, 2020. Individual assignments and schedules will not be completed until April, 2020. We take requests for off/vacation time, but do NOT guarantee any requests.
3) Upon a successful application submission, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email following your submission, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us.
4) Applications are due via this online submission no later than 4pm on Tuesday, October 8. Late applications are not accepted. Incomplete applications are not accepted. You will receive notification (via an email to your @mix account) as to whether or not you are invited to a Group Interview no later than 4pm on Friday, October 11.
5) Finally please note that the quality of your application is taken into account for invites to group interviews, individual interviews, and trainee selection.
For general questions contact: email@example.com
For more information on the position requirements and expectations visit http://adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader
The application will ask you the following basic information:
- Birthdate and when you will be 21 years old
- Do you currently possess a valid drivers license with no restrictions?
- WVU ID#
- @mix email address
- Cell phone number
- Academic major and minor (if applicable)
- Expected date for graduation
- Class standing (i.e. freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate student) and
whether you were a transfer student
- Current GPA. The question reads: Adventure WV generally requires a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for a staff position. If you have a GPA lower than 3.0 please offer an explanation for how you may be planning to improve your GPA in the future. For first semester freshmen, you may put "n/a" or you may enter your High School GPA (please indicate if it is a High School GPA)
The application will then ask you about your interests and availability:
- Note that trainees will be assigned to one of two RPTR251 sections: Backcountry or Frontcountry. It is anticipated that trainees in the Backcountry section will lead trips with backpacking, while trainees in the Frontcountry section will work trips without backpacking (although switches may be occasionally made). Trainees in either section may be assigned to work as Program Support Staff. For more information on trip types or positions available, visit our website here: adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader. Choose as many as you are interested in and/or willing to work. Please note that assignments are not made until April and preferences are not guaranteed.
- Which positions are you willing to work, with options of: Program Support Staff, Frontcountry Leader, Backcountry Leader. Also, if you have a particular preference, please briefly explain why.
- Potential Spring Conflicts. The question reads: Trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education, which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm during the Spring 2020 semester. No substitutions for this class are accepted. You must also attend two weekends with the dates of January 25-26 and April 4-5. Please answer Yes or No below. You must explain any potential conflicts.
- Potential Summer Conflicts. The question reads:
Please answer Yes or No below. Note you are expected to be available from
May 26 - August 18, 2020. Individual schedules are not assigned until
April, 2020. We accept off/vacation requests, but never guarantee a request.
If you are planning on attending the SOAR or New Zealand program please note
here. If you are in the National Guard or ROTC and may have summer trainings/commitments. If you plan to pursue an internship during the Spring/Summer 2020 season. If you plan to take a summer class. If you plan to work a second job over the Summer 2020 season. If you plan to participate in an extended vacation or trip (study abroad) during Summer 2020. You must explain any potential conflicts. We know that thinking so far
ahead may be difficult, but we ask that you really consider any and all potential
conflicts that may arise for you. Limited accommodations may be made
for on-campus commitments such as Band and RA training.
- Which group interview you prefer to attend (if you receive an invite). Options are: Tuesday, October 15 from 7-9pm and Wednesday, October 16 from 7-9pm.
The application will then ask you to list your Work Experience. The question reads: List up to three work experiences, starting with the most recent. Include: Job Title/Organization, Dates of Employment, and a brief description of duties. If you do not have work experiences to list, put "N/A" in the response area.
Next, the application will ask about Other Relevant Experience. The question reads: List and briefly describe up to two relevant experiences. Tell us what the experience was, the dates/length, and your role. You may list "N/A" in the response area if you do not have other relevant experience. Examples may be outdoor trips, leadership roles, camp, etc.
You will then be asked to provide two references. The question reads: Please list at least two people who we may contact as a personal reference (these people should not be relatives). If you participated on any Adventure WV trip(s), please tell us the trip/year and include a trip leader as one of your references.
Finally you will be asked a series of Short Answer Questions.All questions are required and selection for interviews and for employment bear heavily on the quality of responses. The questions are as follows:
- How did you learn about the Adventure West Virginia First-Year Trips program?
Why are you interested
in being a staff member with the program?
- Please share a significant leadership experience from within the past three years.
What was memorable about the experience? What would you change and/or keep
the same about how you managed the experience?
- What do you think would be your greatest assets as an AWVFYT Student Staff member?
- What do you think would be most challenging about being an AWVFYT Student Staff
- Describe a situation in which you faced a difficult decision. What was the
decision you had to make, how did you make it, and how do you feel about your
process of making that decision?
- Please list and describe relevant certifications/awards you have received (WFA,
WFR, CPR, lifeguard, honors, academic awards, scholarships, etc.)
- Have you applied for a position with AWV in the past? If yes, please indicate the year. Also, is there anything new you'd like us to know since submitting your previous application?
The application must be completed online
Applications are due via this online submission no later than 4pm on Tuesday, October 8th. Late applications are not accepted. Incomplete applications are not accepted. You will receive notification as to whether you are invited to a Group Interview no later than 4pm on Friday, October 11th.
This sample is provided only for informational and planning purposes. Neither hard copy nor email applications are accepted.Official Application