The official application must be completed online.
This sample is provided only for informational and planning purposes. Neither hard copy nor email applications are accepted. We recommend typing responses in word-processing software and then copying and pasting into the online application.
Applications due no later than 4pm on Thursday, October 11th.Official Application
The application starts with basic information for you:
Thank you for your interest in applying to work with the Adventure WV First Year Trips program (AWVFYT)! Before completing and submitting your application you should be aware that:
- You are NOT able to save and return to a partially completed application.
You will be able to go back to previous sections while working on your application,
but not after submitting. There is no time-out on the application,
but progress you make will not be saved if you do not fully complete the application
in one sitting. Please leave sufficient time to complete your application!
We have posted a sample version of the application on our website http://adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader . We strongly suggest reviewing what you will be asked so that you can prepare your answers ahead of time. There are questions regarding work and leadership experience, references, and short answer prompts.
- The training process and work commitments are extensive. Please review the
job description and training requirements
Note trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education, which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm. No substitutions for this class are accepted. You must also attend two weekends with the tentative dates of: January 26-27, 2019 and March 29-31, 2019. Weekends are required; you are not eligible to work if you are not able to attend.
Also note you are generally expected to be available from May 20, 2019 - August 20, 2019. Individual assignments and schedules will not be completed until April, 2019. We take requests for off/vacation time, but do NOT guarantee any requests.
- Upon a successful application submission, you should receive a confirmation email.
If you do not receive a confirmation email following your submission, send an
email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us.
- Applications are due via this online submission no later than 4pm on Thursday,
October 11th. Late applications are not accepted. Incomplete applications
are not accepted. You will receive notification (via an email to your @mix
account) as to whether or not you are invited to a Group Interview no later than
4pm on Friday, October 12th.
- Finally please note that the quality of your application is taken into account
for invites to group interviews, individual interviews, and trainee selection.
For general questions contact: email@example.com
For more information on the position requirements and expectations visit
The application will ask you the following basic information:
- Birthdate and when you will be 21 years old
- Do you currently possess a valid drivers license with no restrictions?
- WVU ID#
- @mix email address
- Cell phone number
- Academic major and minor (if applicable)
- Expected date for graduation
- Class standing (i.e. freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate student) and
whether you were a transfer student
- Current GPA. The question reads: Adventure WV generally requires a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for a staff position. If you have a GPA lower than 3.0 please offer an explanation for how you may be planning to improve your GPA in the future. For first semester freshmen, you may put "n/a" or you may enter your High School GPA (please indicate if it is a High School GPA)
The application will then ask you about your interests and availability:
- Trainees will be assigned to one of two types of LEEd sections: Backcountry or
Frontcountry. It is anticipated that trainees in the Backcountry Section
will lead trips with backpacking, while trainees in the Frontcountry section
will lead trips without backpacking (although switches may be made). Trainees
in either section may be assigned to work logistics.
- Which positions are you willing to work, with options of: Program Support Staff (Logistics Specialist), Frontcountry Leader, Backcountry Leader. Also, if you have a particular preference, please briefly explain why.
- Potential Spring Conflicts. The question reads:
Trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education,
which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm. No substitutions for this
class are accepted. You must also attend two weekends with the tentative
dates of: January 26-27, 2019 and March 29-31, 2019. Weekends are required
and you are not eligible to work if you are not able to attend. Please
answer Yes or No below. You must explain any potential conflicts.
- Potential Summer Conflicts. The question reads:
Please answer Yes or No below. Note you are expected to be available from
May 20 - August 20, 2019. Individual schedules are not assigned until
April, 2019. We accept off/vacation requests, but never guarantee a request.
If you are planning on attending the SOAR or New Zealand program please note
here. You must explain any potential conflicts. We know that thinking so far
ahead may be difficult, but we ask that you really consider any and all potential
conflicts that may arise for you. Limited accommodations may be made
for on-campus commitments such as Band and RA training.
- Which group interview you prefer to attend (if you receive an invite). Options are: Tuesday, October 16 from 7-9pm and Wednesday, October 17 from 7-9pm.
The application will then ask you to list your Work Experience. The question reads: List up to three work experiences, starting with the most recent. Include: Job Title/Organization, Dates of Employment, and a brief description of duties. If you would like to submit a resume, please email as an attachment (word or pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org as you will NOT be able to upload a resume to this application. If you do not have work experiences to list, put "N/A" in the response area.
Next, the application will ask about Other Relevant Experience. The question reads: List and briefly describe up to five relevant experiences. Tell us what the experience was, the dates/length, and your role. You may list "N/A" in the response area if you do not have other relevant experience. Examples may be outdoor trips, leadership roles, camp, etc.
You will then be asked to provide two references. The question reads: Please list at least two people who we may contact as a personal reference (these people should not be relatives). If you participated on any Adventure WV trip(s), please tell us the trip/year and include a trip leader as one of your references.
Finally you will be asked a series of Short Answer Questions.All questions are required and selection for interviews and for employment bear heavily on the quality of responses. The questions are as follows:
- How did you learn about the Adventure West Virginia First Year Trips program?
Why are you interested
in being a staff member with the program?
- Please share a significant leadership experience from within the past three years.
What was memorable about the experience? What would you change and/or keep
the same about how you managed the experience?
- What do you think would be your greatest assets as an AWVFYT Student Staff member?
- What do you think would be most challenging about being an AWVFYT Student Staff
- Describe a situation in which you faced a difficult decision. What was the
decision you had to make, how did you make it, and how do you feel about your
process of making that decision?
- Please list and describe relevant certifications/awards you have received (WFA,
WFR, CPR, lifeguard, honors, academic awards, scholarships, etc.)
- Have you applied for a position with AWV in the past? If yes, please indicate the year. Also, is there anything new you'd like us to know since submitting your previous application?
The application must be completed online
Applications are due via this online submission no later than 4pm on Thursday, October 5th. Late applications are not accepted. Incomplete applications are not accepted. You will receive notification as to whether you are invited to a Group Interview no later than 4pm on Friday, October 6th.
This sample is provided only for informational and planning purposes. Neither hard copy nor email applications are accepted.Official Application