Adventure WV First-Year Trips Student Staff Application, 2021 Season
Thank you for your interest in applying to work with the Adventure WV First-Year Trips program (AWVFYT)! Before completing and submitting your application you should be aware that:
- You are NOT able to save and return to a partially completed application. You will be able to go back to previous sections while working on your application, but not after submitting. There is no time-out on the application, but progress you make will not be saved if you do not fully complete the application in one sitting. Please leave sufficient time to complete your application! We strongly suggest reviewing what you will be asked so that you can prepare your answers ahead of time. There are questions regarding work and leadership experience, references, and short answer prompts
- The training process and work commitments are extensive. Please review the job
description and training requirements. Specifically, make sure you click on the
"AWVFYT 2021 Required Commitments" button near the top of the screen and review
Note trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education, which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm during the Spring 2021 semester. No substitutions for this class are accepted. This course includes two required weekends with the tentative dates of: February 7 (9am - 5pm Virtual Leader Retreat) and April 9-11 (in-person Field Weekend, if permissible). Also note you are generally expected to be available from May 24 - August 18, 2021 (some staff will be required to begin training on May 10). Individual assignments and schedules will not be completed until April, 2021. We take requests for off/vacation time, but do NOT guarantee any requests.
- Upon a successful application submission, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email following your submission, email email@example.com to notify us.
- Applications are due via this online submission no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 8th, 2020. Late applications are not accepted. Incomplete applications are not accepted. You will receive notification (via an email to your @mix account) as to whether or not you are invited to a Group Interview no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 9th, 2020. 5) Finally please note that the quality of your application is taken into account for invites to group interviews, individual interviews, and trainee selection.
For general questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information on the position requirements and expectations visit http://adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-a-leader
Below is a rundown of the information needed to complete your application. Having all of this prepared in a separate document will allow for quick and easy completion of the application. Note since you cannot go back to the application having everything prepared before filling it out will also ensure that should technical difficulties occur you will be prepared to start over with little difficulty should the need arise.
- Last Name
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Will you be 21 as of June 10, 2021 (Multiple Choice: yes,no, or I will be 21 during the summer of 2021, but not by June 10)
Do you currently possess a valid Drivers License with no restrictions? (Yes or
- WVU ID Number (Nine Digit Number Starting with 800 given to you at orientation)
- @mix email address (must use your mix email!)
- Cell phone number
- Academic Major
- Expected Graduation Date
- Class Standing (Multiple Choice: Junior, senior, Freshmen, etc.)
- Were you a Transfer Student
Adventure WV generally requires a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for a staff position. If you have a GPA lower than 3.0 please offer an explanation for how you may be planning to improve your GPA in the future. For first semester first-year students, you may put "n/a" or you may enter your High School GPA (please indicate if it is a High School GPA)
Interests and Availability
Do you have any potential Spring conflicts?
Trainees are required to take RPTR 251: Leadership in Experiential Education, which meets Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:50 pm during the Spring 2020 semester. No substitutions for this class are accepted. You must also attend two weekends with the dates of February 6-7 and April 9-11. Please answer Yes or No below. You must explain any potential conflicts.
A variety of positions are available for employment with First-Year Trips. Which
positions would you interested in and willing to work with the program?
First-Year Trips works with over 2,000 incoming students each summer, so there are many different ways our staff can work to support incoming students and their transition to WVU! For more detail on the specific types of training and positions available, visit adventurefirstyear.wvu.edu/student-staff/apply-to-be-aleader. Choose as many of the options below you are interested in and/or willing to work. We are simply trying to gauge your interest- selecting anything below does not commit or guarantee you to any specific type of position
- Program Support, including involvement with gear, food, and other 'behind the scenes' logistical work
- Leading 5-6 day trips in the Frontcountry (adventure activities that do not
- Leading 5-6 day trips in the Backcountry (backpacking and camping overnight
in the wilderness)
- Facilitating Challenge Course and Teambuilding experiences for groups
- Leading shorter, 1-2 day programming for incoming WVU students
If you have a particular preference from anything you selected above, please
briefly explain why
Are you planning to participate in/apply for any of the following?
Please check all the boxes that apply to you. Please note that while you are expected to be available from May 24 - August 18, 2021, checking any of the following boxes does not automatically disqualify you from the position. Individual schedules are not assigned until April. We accept off/vacation requests, but never guarantee a request. We know that thinking so far ahead may be difficult, but we ask that you really consider any and all potential conflicts that may arise for you.
- None of these options apply to me for the Summer 2021 season
- I plan to be in Band
- I plan to apply to be an RA
- I plan to apply to participate in a SOAR trip (either SOAR Utah or SOAR New
- I plan to apply to participate in the New Zealand trip
- I am in the National Guard or Army/ROTC and may have summer trainings/commitments
- I am planning to pursue an internship during the Spring/Summer 2021 season
- I am planning to take a summer class
- I am planning to apply for a Study Abroad program for Fall 2021
- I am applying to/planning to work a second job over the Summer 2021 season
- I am applying to/planning to participate in an extended vacation or trip
during Summer 2021
- None of these options apply to me for the Summer 2021 season
- If you checked any of the boxes in the previous question, please explain further here. (Paragraph Response)
Which of the following dates work for you to attend a Zoom Group Interview Session,
if invited? Please check ALL nights that you are available.
Invitations to Group Interviews (held via Zoom) will be made based on the quality of your application. You will be alerted via email no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 9 if you have been invited to an interview and to which evening you are assigned. For now, please tentatively hold the availability evenings on your schedule.
- Tuesday, October 13 from 7-9pm
- Wednesday, October 14 from 7-9pm
- Thursday, October 15 from 7-9pm
- None of these dates/times work with my schedule
List up to three work experiences, starting with the most recent. Include: Job Title/Organization, Dates of Employment, and a brief description of duties. If you would like to submit a resume (optional), you can upload it as a pdf file in Section 8 of this application (the final page just before you hit the "submit" button). If you do not have work experiences to list, put "N/A" in the response area.
Other Relevant Experience
List and briefly describe up to two relevant experiences. Tell us what the experience was, the dates/length, and your role. You may list "N/A" in the response area if you do not have other relevant experience. Examples may be outdoor trips, leadership roles, camp, etc.
Please list at least two people who we may contact as a personal reference (these people should not be relatives). If you participated on any Adventure WV trip(s), please tell us the trip/year and include a trip leader as one of your references.
Short Answer Questions
Note that decisions regarding group interviews, individual interviews, and ultimately leader selection bear heavily on the quality of your application and short-answer responses. Please answer thoroughly and thoughtfully
- How did you learn about the Adventure WV First-Year Trips program? Why are you interested in being a staff member with the program?
- Please share a leadership experience from within the past three years. What was memorable about the experience? What would you change and/or keep the same about how you managed the experience? (This does not have to be a formal leadership role. Consider any time you had to "step up" and act as a leader.)
- What do you think would be your greatest assets as an AWVFYT staff member?
- What do you think would be most challenging about being an AWVFYT staff member?
- Describe a situation in which you faced a difficult decision. What was the decision you had to make, how did you make it, and how do you feel about your process of making that decision?
- Please list and describe any relevant certifications/awards you have received (i.e. WFA, WFR, CPR, lifeguard, honors, academic awards, scholarships, etc.). For certifications, please also list expiration dates.
- Have you applied for a position with AWV in the past? If yes, please indicate the year. Also, is there anything new you'd like us to know since submitting your previous application? Write "N/A" if this is your first application.
Resume (Optional) & Submission
You will have the option to upload your resume before submitting the application. If you choose to do so please have your resume saved as a pdf document.